MEQUON, Wis. -- Jordan Johnson and Joey Zietlow had career games on an important night to help Concordia Wisconsin defeat Wisconsin Lutheran, 102-94, in a battle of two of the top teams in the NACC on Wednesday evening.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 102, Wisconsin Lutheran 94
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 14-8, 13-4 NACC; Wisconsin Lutheran 17-5, 14-3 NACC
QUOTING JORDAN JOHNSON
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Johnson (junior, Cedarburg, Wis.) and Zietlow (junior, Oak Creek, Wis.) were a perfect one-two punch the Warriors just couldn't stop inside the R. John Buuck Field House, as the duo each had career-highs in the scoring column. Johnson netted 33 points on 9-of-18 shooting (14-of-15 FTs) and scored 20 points in the second half. Zietlow tallied 25 points on 9-of-12 shooting and drained four 3-pointers. They each three blocks apiece.
- The game plan for Concordia Wisconsin was to slow down Wisconsin Lutheran's Andrew Burggink who ranks 10th nationally in scoring at 24-plus points per game. He scored 14 points in the second half to get to 20 for the game, but it was Drew Bernhagen who nearly vaulted the visitors to a win after scoring 30 points on 11-of-20 shooting off the bench.
- Both teams came to shoot, with the Falcons making 54.8 percent of their attempts and the Warriors draining 51.4 percent from the floor. The hosts made a season-high 27 free throws and tied an NCAA-era record with 10 blocks.
- With the victory and a Benedictine loss to MSOE in overtime, Concordia Wisconsin is now just a game back of a tie for first place in the NACC standings with three games to play in the regular season.
- Sophomore Jared Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) had 13 points, six rebounds and six assists; while sophomore Brandon Keller recorded 12 points, seven rebounds and two blocks. Senior Olalekan George (Milwaukee, Wis.) posted 10 points.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to MSOE for a Saturday 2 pm league matchup.
February 18, 2020 Johnson garners pair of weekly honors
February 18, 2020 Falcons stunned at home
February 17, 2020 A reflection on Cassidy's success
February 15, 2020 Cassidy becomes Men's Basketball's winningest coach
February 12, 2020 Falcons defeat Warriors
February 11, 2020 Johnson named NACC Player of the Week
February 8, 2020 Late offensive drought hurts Men's Basketball
February 4, 2020 3-point shot gives offense a spark
February 1, 2020 Men's Basketball edges Rockford
January 29, 2020 Falcons edge out Stars in home victory
January 25, 2020 Men's Basketball competes in CIT title game
January 24, 2020 Men's Basketball moves on to CIT Championship game
January 21, 2020 Men's Basketball can't slow down Lakeland
January 18, 2020 Falcons use late scoring run to defeat Spartans
January 14, 2020 Men's Basketball gets defensive in second half
January 12, 2020 It's been an awesome journey so far
January 11, 2020 Johnson scores 1,000th point, Falcons earn gritty victory
January 7, 2020 Flowers, Keller score 22 in road victory
January 4, 2020 Falcons fall in 2OT at Illinois Tech
December 21, 2019 Starters score in double-figures during Falcons defeat
December 20, 2019 Jurss has career game, Falcons defeat Coe in OT
December 14, 2019 Falcons separate from Sabres early in easy victory
December 7, 2019 Falcons fly past Eagles in second half
December 4, 2019 Keller shines in close victory
November 27, 2019 Falcons can't slow down Warriors
November 26, 2019 Jared Jurss named NACC Student-Athlete of the Week
November 23, 2019 Falcons down Dominican in NACC opener
November 16, 2019 Men's Basketball drops game at Loras
November 15, 2019 Falcons fall in season-opener to UW-Lacrosse
November 5, 2019 Falcons put up valiant effort in exhibition at Milwaukee
November 4, 2019 Season preview: Men's Basketball prepared to defend title
October 24, 2019 Men's Basketball picked fifth in NACC Preseason Poll