MEQUON, Wis. -- As the game neared the end, it didn't appear as if Jordan Johnson would reach the 1,000 point plateau, but he scored the final 10 points for Concordia Wisconsin to help them secure a gritty 68-63 victory over Marian on Saturday. He became the 19th player in program history to achieve the milestone.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 68, Marian 63
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 7-5, 6-2 NACC; Marian 2-11, 1-7 NACC
QUOTING JORDAN JOHNSON
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Johnson netted seven points in the opening half and hadn't scored for minutes on end, which is unusual for the Falcons leading scorer who is also seventh in the NACC at 17.0 per game. He went nearly 14 minutes before taking over in the final three minutes and 20 seconds making six free throws and a dunk to help Concordia Wisconsin earn a need home victory.
- The Sabres wouldn't go away all game, despite them having just two wins all season entering the matchup. They stayed within singles digits all game and were within a point, 64-63 with 21 seconds to play.
- Johnson needed 19 points for 1,000 and ended with a team-high 19 points on 5-of-10 shooting and 9-of-10 free throws. He also had five rebounds and three assists. The Cedarburg, Wisconsin native is the fastest player in the NCAA-era to reach the coveted 1,000 point mark, doing it in 65 career games.
- Junior Joey Zietlow (Oak Creek, Wis.) and sophomore Brandon Keller (Plymouth, Wis.) each had 11 points, while senior Olalekan George (Milwaukee, Wis.) netted 10 points, grabbed seven rebounds, assisted on three field goals and stole three passes.
- Marian was led by Dylan Gmeiner who scored a game-high 22 points off the bench.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Concordia Chicago on Tuesday at 7:30 pm in the second game of a NACC doubleheader inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
January 14, 2020 Men's Basketball gets defensive in second half
January 12, 2020 It's been an awesome journey so far
January 11, 2020 Johnson scores 1,000th point, Falcons earn gritty victory
January 7, 2020 Flowers, Keller score 22 in road victory
January 4, 2020 Falcons fall in 2OT at Illinois Tech
December 21, 2019 Starters score in double-figures during Falcons defeat
December 20, 2019 Jurss has career game, Falcons defeat Coe in OT
December 14, 2019 Falcons separate from Sabres early in easy victory
December 7, 2019 Falcons fly past Eagles in second half
December 4, 2019 Keller shines in close victory
November 27, 2019 Falcons can't slow down Warriors
November 26, 2019 Jared Jurss named NACC Student-Athlete of the Week
November 23, 2019 Falcons down Dominican in NACC opener
November 16, 2019 Men's Basketball drops game at Loras
November 15, 2019 Falcons fall in season-opener to UW-Lacrosse
November 5, 2019 Falcons put up valiant effort in exhibition at Milwaukee
November 4, 2019 Season preview: Men's Basketball prepared to defend title
October 24, 2019 Men's Basketball picked fifth in NACC Preseason Poll