MEQUON, Wis. -- Concordia Wisconsin turned things around in the second set to gain the momentum and put the crowd into a frenzy during a 3-1 (18-25, 25-19, 25-10, 25-13) NACC Tournament semifinal victory over Lakeland on Thursday night inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Lakeland 1 (18-25, 25-19, 25-10, 25-13)
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 22-8, Lakeland 19-16
QUOTING MAKENZIE VERTZ
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin came out flat in the first set and fell behind early after hitting -.030, which resulted in a 25-18 loss. Things changed from then on and the Falcons got juiced up behind a full house of energetic faithful fans. The offense came to life and the defense communicated on every touch.
- The Falcons offense was clicking on all cylinders during the third set, hitting .483 and winning 25-10 to make a statement that they wanted to move on and continue their season. The fourth set wasn't close either, winning 25-13 to earn the 3-1 victory.
- One of the many highlights from the win came in the third set when Concordia Wisconsin put together a 17-3 scoring run, which included a trio of kills by sophomores Gabrielle Pavlik (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Jenna Chausse (Chilton, Wis.). As well, senior Kendal Stribling (Greenfield, Wis.) and sophomore McKenna Nigl (Richland Center, Wis.) each had two kills and teamed up for a block.
- The Falcons also had a noteworthy 11-3 scoring run to close the match.
- Pavlik had 14 kills (.367 hitting percent), sophomore Sophia Collins (Lake Mills, Wis.) ended with 13 (.378 hitting percent) and Chausse added 10 kills (.280 hitting percent). The offense was directed by sophomore Makenzie Vertz (Mukwonago, Wis.) and freshman Sierra Lee (Kenosha, Wis.) who teamed up for 43 assists. Vertz also had three service aces and 15 digs.
- Nigl and Stribling recorded four and three blocks, respectively.
- Lakeland was led by Shannon Bishop who had 13 kills and 14 digs.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Aurora for the NACC Tournament Championship on Saturday at 7 pm.
November 7, 2019 Three Falcons earn All-NACC Women's Volleyball honors
November 7, 2019 Falcons advance to NACC Tournament Championship match
November 1, 2019 Women's Volleyball ranked 7th in Midwest Region
October 30, 2019 Women's Volleyball clinches share of NACC regular season title
October 26, 2019 Women's Volleyball earns two quality wins
October 22, 2019 Women's Volleyball sweeps Marian
October 19, 2019 Women's Volleyball loses first NACC match of the season
October 18, 2019 Falcons soar on senior night against Benedictine
October 16, 2019 Falcons fall to No. 7 UW-Whitewater
October 15, 2019 Mayer named NACC Player of the Week
October 12, 2019 Falcons do it again with fifth set win
October 11, 2019 Women's Volleyball nearly upset by IIT
October 8, 2019 Falcons offense shines bright in NACC victory
October 5, 2019 Falcons cruise against Cougars
October 4, 2019 Falcons continue winning streak
September 28, 2019 Dominant defense leads to sweep
September 24, 2019 Depth evident in Women's Volleyball victory
September 21, 2019 Falcons sweep Rose-Hulman, Finlandia
September 20, 2019 Falcons fall to No. 10 Carthage
September 18, 2019 Pavlik, Stribling have career nights in NACC victory
September 14, 2019 Women's Volleyball wins two at Millikin Fall Invitational
September 7, 2019 Volleyball defeats Elmhurst to close Pointers Invitational
September 6, 2019 Women’s Volleyball battles at Stevens Point
August 31, 2019 Women's Volleyball wins fourth-straight CIVT title
August 30, 2019 Women's Volleyball drops pair of matches to begin season
August 27, 2019 Women's Volleyball looks to continue recent success